Friday, January 17, 2014

Encounters


            A haze of uncertainty clouded my consciousness as I awoke from a heavy slumber. I found myself in an empty grey room. Stillness hung all around. The pod I slept in was open. The others lay closed, and through the clear exterior I noticed no one lay inside. Shivers ran up my spine as I realized I sat naked on the cool gel interior of the pod. I had no recollection as to how I got here nor did I question it. The lonesome room almost felt natural, as if I were home.
            My feet dangled as I playfully swayed them back and forth. I remained sitting in my bed, awaiting further instructions. Someone must have woken me up, I figured, but who and why? Before I knew it, my mind began to race with thoughts, questions, and concerns. The more I thought, the more I began to feel uncertain about my entire existence without ever knowing why I had conjured such a question. I expected the worst and feared for my life for no reason. Who am I? I later questioned, one I never thought to ask myself until now. The thought made me reluctant to even want to know, but would I?
            “I would.” I said out loud without a second thought. A light beamed in the corner of my eye. It caught my attention, but do I dare follow it? Instinct told me to do so but fear prevented me from getting up. The light disappeared, fading effortlessly beyond my sight. I was up and walking before I knew it. I followed the light to where it once shined. An opening led me to a long hallway. Its floors were clear and reflective, and looking down I could see a fatigued young man staring back at me. Skin and bones is all I saw. Then, as before, the light returned up ahead and without hesitation I approached it.
            I blindly followed the light, not knowing where it took me. Though fear still lingered, I pushed it aside because I wanted to know who was calling. The glorious light, with all its warmth, guided me across cold corridors beyond the pod from where I rose and straight to a spacious room full of bright mesmerizing orbs. Beyond the glass window outside the room a sea of stars twinkled harmoniously. Some were big, others were small; all in different colors I never knew existed. Overlooking these celestial bodies sat two beings, their slender arms swayed at their sides. Suddenly, a soothing tune echoed in my ear. “Hello?” I said, curiously.
            The two beings stopped as they turned to me. I took a closer look at the strangers before me and noticed they had no eyes, a mouth or a nose. Their bodies resembled an endless cosmo of living light. Their skin was dark with illuminating stars in shades of blue, purple, white and everything in between. I nearly lost them as their bodies camouflaged with the background as they stood. I stepped back, not knowing where they had gone. Fear crept behind me when suddenly the glass windows closed and they appeared where they had stood. “Where am I?” I asked foolishly, wondering if they understood.
            A heavenly tune came from one of the strangers, it sounded like a beautiful melody. The kind that warms the heart and fills the soul with happiness. I didn’t understand what they were saying, nor did it matter. The soothing vibrations of their song gave me the comfort I needed. The melody assured me they were here to take me to a better place where I can be happy. The angelic tune stopped as they noticed I was lost in their beautiful song. One of the strangers raised its hand towards me. Greetings good friend, a voice echoed in my head.
            “Greetings?” I repeated. “Why am I here?”
            You, my friend, are here to conquer your destiny, he answered gracefully in my head. You see, you are like no other species. The human race is far more complex than we'd ever imagine. My kind has wandered the cosmos for centuries, since the beginning of time itself. Never have we met a species so rare and fragile like yours before; you are gods of your own will. The smallest influence can tip the scale and bring forth unpredicted change. We were ecstatic to have found you, in the most unexpected place at that. We’ve prepared you for a new beginning. One we are most anxious to see.
            “So, am I merely an experiment?” I asked, confused.
            No, not at all, he replied, we’ve seen your future. Though we can never interfere, you and your descendants will grow, conquer lands, and bring forth destruction and new life at the same time. The existence of your race hangs in the balance of the coming generations. You will teach them to coexist, or cease to exist. That is the will of our existence. Whether they choose to accept it or not is entirely up to them.
            “Did you wake me?” I asked.
            You woke yourself. He said. That is something most could not accomplish so easily. Another song echoed in my ear, this one had a higher pitch. You have a long journey ahead of you. Worry not whether you get lost for you will always find your way. He paused. We have arrived. Behind them, the glass walls opened once more, revealing a bright blue ball. A small white dot circled around the blue planet, playfully rotating alongside it. This is your new home, take good care of it.
            “Will I ever see you again?”
            In time. Remember, you are the first and the last. Embrace the future and honor the past, he said as they approached me. They stood before me; their long slender bodies towered beyond my own. They were giants and I was merely an ant in comparison. They placed their hands on my shoulder and surrounded me with warmth. I closed my eyes as the light consumed us all. Before I knew it, I stood alone in a field of grass. A cool breeze swept by, sending chills throughout my bare skin. Foreign animals echoed all around. This is my new home. I had no clue as to what to do, but knew exactly where to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment