Monday, January 13, 2014

Sight

I could feel myself coming back to consciousness as the numbness progressively faded. The earth burned as I remained on the ground. The sun never felt so intense. My vision adjusted to a bright blue sky up above. Slowly, I noticed the clouds hovering about, obeying the winds every will. Vultures echoed throughout the desert. A dark figure suddenly appeared before me with a brightening halo crowned on its head. It stood there motionless, watching over me.
A familiar face soon appeared in the vastness of the figure before me. The elder of my tribe, I came to find, stood watching. His eyes asked many questions but his mouth spoke no words. Always a kind soul, he stretched out a helping hand to me. I was on my feet before I knew it. My knees shook as he let me go. They felt weak and fragile. I was not ready to stand on my own. My head spun. I did not have a clue as to what had lead me to the desert. I stood lost in a haze of my own confusion.
            I cleared my throat to ask but to no sound. Only raspy, unclear jabber escaped me. What happened? I asked myself, looking around trying to find a sense of reason. Sweat rolled down my spine as we stood in the endless sea of hot sand.
“Save your breath, young one.” The elder spoke as he noticed me pointlessly questioning imperatively. “You will have your answer in time.”
“But how did we end up here?” I later asked, finding my voice through the unclarity. “Last I remember, if I remember correctly, I was with my father helping him with his labors. I don’t recall leaving his presence.” For reasons beyond my comprehension, I had left the comfort of my tribe’s protection and stepped into the savage world, full of ruthless dwellers, known as the desert.
“Follow me.” The elder requested as he turned around. We were heading home to its shelter from the dwellers. In this Godless desert, peace does not exist among those who roam its hot land. Home to the exiled and criminals, the desert is nothing but madness and chaos. If not the dwellers then its critters will end you. Thus my confusion as to why I had left the comfort of my home. A stampede of approaching horses rumbled off in the distance. “Dwellers, I’m sure of it.” The elder commented, without reassurance.
Up ahead, a steep cliff marked the end of our journey. Behind its rocky wall stood protection from danger. The dwellers threat lingered behind as we began to climb up the steep cliff. An iron arrow scrapped my shoulder, drawing hot sticky blood. The attack startled me. I scrapped my elbows as I slipped. “Careful now, reckless, we don’t want to lose you to them.” The elder said as he continued his climb. He, of all people, feared no fear for his years in this tough world prepared him to adapt to whatever obstacle whereas I had barely any experience outside my father’s stable.
Slow and steady, we climbed up the rocks while the dwellers aimed continuously at us. Though there seemed no end to their arrows, a cave up ahead assured us protection. I had exhausted my energy mid-way but refused to stop. The dwellers rage kept me climbing. No later did we took refuge inside the cave while down below the dwellers denied their defeat. They later came to their senses as we remained hidden in the cave.
“This may not be home, but for the time being, we shall call it home.” The elder said as he found a place to sit. I remained in the opening, looking for signs of more dwellers. There’s always one in every shadow. “You need not to worry, young one. We have found refuge. Time now for answers.” I looked at him. He sat patiently.
“What happened to me?” I asked. “Did I blackout?” Light appeared as the elder struck a fire.
“I received a message from our ancestors, the other night.” The elder began. “They came to me in a dream. They came bearing news of great change for our tribe. A gift of premonition has been given to the youngest of my bloodline.” He paused. “You, son of my son, are the youngest of my bloodline. Our ancestors blessed you with the power of sight. Only you can see the not yet seen. Now tell me, what did you see?” I was at a loss. No thought came to mind, I sat speechless. “You were given a gift, young seer, speak. Express that mind.”
“But, I don't recall a thing.” I replied moments later. “Are you sure that it’s me?”
“They had advised me to enter the desert and there I shall meet him.” He answered. “It’s you who I found lying in the desert and no one else.”
“I just don't remember.” I said to the fire.
“You must focus on what you’re being asked. The answer is there, only you can see it. Look within and there your answer lies. After all, only you were granted this gift.” He was right, somehow; as crazy as it seemed. Elders are after all far more intellectual than to those of youthful minds. Their years in this world give them that advantage, the knowledge they need to adapt; to survive, to thrive. He closed his eyes and began to meditate. “Maybe a few hours of silence will help you through your confusion.”
            I closed my eyes and channelled the chakras to my zen. I tried to remember what had happened. I retraced my steps as I breathed in the smoke. I sat in my own darkness when my father suddenly appeared in a hazy fog. We were back home, mending the stables and feeding the cattle. A familiar tingle in the back of my spine crept up behind me sending chills up and down my body. I felt numb again. My eyes rolled to the back of my head as I felt myself lean backwards.
            I floated in the abyss of my sub consciousness for a moment. A voice echoed in my head, calling my name in all directions. Suddenly, a bright light flashed before me; blinding me for a second. As I opened my eyes, I found myself lying in bed with a familiar face looking back at me. “Dude, what happened?” He asked me. I was now in the present, back to where I had left. “You were out cold for a good few hours.” He added as he helped me sit up.
“I passed out?” I replied. The atmosphere changed once more as I wondered noting the new surroundings, all the while steadying my spinning head. My voice was different, my clothes were no longer pieces of fabric draped by my waist, and I no longer sat in a cave but in a concrete room. I left home without ever leaving. “Where’s-?” I stopped before finishing the thought. I knew it wouldn’t make sense, nothing made sense at this point.
“So?” he asked as I took a hold of my senses. I did my best to piece the puzzle together, trying to shake the uneasiness out of me completely. “Tell me! What did you see? What happened?” I looked at him and the old man flashed before me.
            “I’m not exactly sure.” I answered. Though I still have no clue as to what I had experienced, one fact was for certain, it was real. The hot desert burning my back as I lay on the ground, the dwellers stampede and the scrape in my elbows; it all happened I saw it, I was there. This delicate type of matter might as well not had happened, but in the very least, perhaps this rare incident occurred when I was another where I lived a different life, in a different place, at a different time.

No comments:

Post a Comment